logo

ulcerative looking sores next to stoma

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ClinicalAdvisor 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
  • kathymc
    Participant

I have an ulcerative looking sore (approx. 1 inch diameter) next to my stoma which I’ve had for months and I cannot get it to heal. It is extremely painful to the touch and bleeds easily. It is irregularly shaped. I have tried the stoma powder, fungal powder and my doctor has even injected it with anti-inflammatories. We have a stoma nurse but she has no clue as to what it is. Any suggestions?

ClinicalAdvisor
    Participant

Hello Kathy
    Without seeing the ulcer it is hard to give you a definitive answer.
    Peristomal ulceration can occur for many reasons.
    However if you have had a history of inflammatory bowel disease – the pain and irregular shape of the ulcer that you describe may be due to pyoderma gangrenosum. This is a painful ulcerating skin condition which can occur around the stoma. Another distinguishing factor is that the ulcer usually has a blue tinge around the ulcerating edges.
    The treatment for this is different to any other ulcer and you may need referred to a dermatologist or colorectal doctor as it involves potent steroid creams, dressings and close follow up – but if diagnosed can be treated.
    Please come back to me if you need any more advice.
    Sarah

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.