How can I help prevent ballooning?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Aneica21 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
  • Lorraine
    Participant

Hi Sarah
    Do you have any advice on how to prevent ballooning? This is a particular problem at night and can cause leaks. Having a watery output sometimes means when I lie down the filters on my bag get wet and so don’t work. Is there anything else I can do to prevent this?
    Lorraine

Aneica21
    Participant

Hi sarah, when at night my 6th sense that we usually develops doesn’t work, my bag balloons so much that it is pulling my skin which makes my stoma retract in. it gets that servere that I don’t have a stoma, just a wee hole where he should be. how can I prevent it as it can be sore at times.

Thanks
    Aneica

ClinicalAdvisor
    Participant

Hello Lorraine
    This is a problem for many people especially if your output is very loose.
    You could try applying a new pouch at night so that the filter is working at its best.
    There is a product available which you can put into your pouch which helps to thicken the output to a jelly like substance e.g. Perform- of course the looser your output is the trickier it is to solve.
    I would recommend that you discuss your output with GP or doctor who looks after you care. They may be able to recommend anti diarrhoeal medication which would help to control your output.
    If nothing else works- high output pouches are available which can be connected to secondary drainage- not an easy management solution I know but if it helps to control the leaks it might be trying.
    Sarah

ClinicalAdvisor
    Participant

Hello Aneica
    If the ballooning is happening most nights I would suggest applying your new pouch in the evening(if it is convenient) so the filter is working as effectively as possible.
    Think about what you are eating or drinking before you settle down for the night. Try and have your main meal earlier in the evening which reduces how much it has to function at night.
    Try mint or chamomile tea which helps with digestion and wind.
    Sarah

Lorraine
    Participant

Do mint chocolates count? Please say yes???:D

ClinicalAdvisor
    Participant

Mmmmmm no sorry Lorraine x

Aneica21
    Participant

I will try this. even though it has happened a few times. Being and Athlete with a stoma and having good diet can sometimes not go down so well.
    Thank you for the advice and I’m sure it will solve it for me.

Aneica

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.