Beat the afternoon slump
From A Bigger Life
It is normal to feel exhausted in the early weeks and months following surgery.
Reasons why you might be feeling tired
- You probably didn’t get much sleep in hospital as they are really busy places.
- You are up at night changing or emptying your ostomy pouch so your sleep has been interrupted.
- Your sleeping position may have changed as you are could be uncomfortable after surgery.
What you can do to help prevent tiredness
- If you are tired during the day, take a nap in the afternoon.
- Use pillows to help make you feel more comfortable.
- Try to avoid eating large meals late in the evenings, this will reduce your night time emptying allowing you to get a longer uninterrupted sleep.
- Although you are feeling very tired it is important to try to do some very gentle exercise such as a short walk and just getting some fresh air. This will help you sleep much better at night time.
- Establish a bedtime routine and get into a habit of going to bed at the same time each night.
- Ensure you are hydrated because if you aren’t taking enough fluids that will also contribute to feeling very tired.
- It all this fails and you are still feeling concerned about how tired you are feeling please consult your stoma nurse or doctor.
Do you have a story you want added to A Bigger Life?
Submit your own story and we will get back to you.